Thursday, December 13, 2012

3 Free Christmas Gifts to Rejuvenate Your Relationship

As Christmas approaches, you're surely looking for something special to give that special person in your life. On the other hand, your bank account may be dwindling, and perhaps it would be best if that gift was inexpensive - or, better yet, free. Thankfully, there are plenty of invaluable gifts to give your loved one this Christmas that will not a cost penny and will actually rejuvenate your relationship! Here are three ideas to get you started with your brainstorm.

Golden Silence

My husband would probably jump for joy if I gave him the gift of silence for Christmas. It's not that he doesn't want to hear me talk. On the contrary, he's interested in hearing about my life and having productive discussions with me. Rather, it's that he doesn't want to hear me grumble, interrupt, or nag - which I realize ends up being the majority of our conversation a lot of the time. To rejuvenate your relationship, consider giving the gift of silence - that is, active listening, waiting before saying "no," limited complaining, and the benefit of the doubt.


Quality Tech-Free Time

As I write this article, I am sitting on one couch with my laptop and my husband is on the other couch with his. The TV is on. My phone is next to me, and every once in a while, I tap it to make sure I haven’t missed a message. We are plugged in, and sometimes I wonder how we’d survive without our technology! Last weekend, we turned on the Christmas music and played The Game of Life together. That, in and of itself, was a Christmas gift. To rejuvenate your relationship, consider implementing a periodic technology-free rule.


Set SMART Goals for the New Year

Is there anything you’ve wanted to accomplish together? Saving money, losing weight, or complete a renovation? To rejuvenate your relationship, sit down and create SMART goals together – that is, Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Bound. The great thing about SMART goals is that they are not lofty dreams that you lob out into the universe hoping something goes your way. On the contrary, these goals are reasonable and likely to accomplish. Your Christmas gift to one another can be the achievement of these goals over the next twelve months. You’ll have a positive experienced as teammates and something to feel good about at the end of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment