Thursday, September 15, 2011

How to Honor Deceased Loved Ones at Your Wedding

As my wedding approached, the sad realization often came to mind that my grandparents, with whom I had been particularly close, would not be present to see me walk down the aisle and join our celebration. They had each passed away within the six years prior to my wedding. Rather than trying to ignore their absence, however, I decided to celebrate their lives and honor their memories. Here are six ways to remember your beloved deceased at your wedding.

Flowers
 
A traditional way to honor your deceased loved ones at your wedding is to display a floral arrangement in their honor. Whether at the altar, on top of the piano, or even in the bride's hands, dedicate a bouquet to your loved ones and mention the honor in your wedding ceremony program.

Prayers
 
Ask your pastor to incorporate a prayer in memory of your deceased loved ones during the course of your wedding ceremony. At my Catholic wedding ceremony, we mentioned our deceased grandparents in the Prayers of the Faithful. If not during your ceremony, you might remember them during the prayer of grace before your meal.

Music
 
There are many ways your wedding music could honor your deceased loved ones. You might incorporate a favorite hymn in your wedding ceremony, or you could dance to a song that was special to your loved one at your wedding reception. My husband and I used "Evergreen" by Barbra Streisand, a favorite of my deceased grandparents, as our "Generations Dance" song. The DJ announced the special significance of the song before the dance began.

Read the full article >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment